As the comprehensive investigation on the Ankara suicide bombings continues, new information regarding the terror attack comes to light.
It has been revealed on Wednesday that the two suicide bombers entered Turkey from Syria 12 hours before the twin bombings that killed 102 people and injured 500 others in Turkey’s capital of Ankara on Oct 10.
The bombings targeted a “peace” march, which was organised by leftist labor unions.
An unidentified senior ISIS border commander helped the bombers to cross the border, Anadolu Agency reported.
According to a report, there is a probability that the second bomber is from another nationality as his identity is still unknown due to no DNA matchup obtained as a result of investigations.
On the other hand, the first bomber was identified on Oct. 19 as Yunus Emre Alagoz, the brother of the Suruc suicide bomber.
The suspects traveled to Ankara with two cars
The investigation report also said that the bombers traveled from Turkey’s southeastern Gaziantep Province to Ankara with two cars which is a method widely used by smugglers in order to escape from police control.
Reports indicated that in addition to the bombers, there was one driver in the car. Detained within the scope of investigation, the driver said that there was a third person in the house where he picked the bombers up.
On the other hand, the police found out that the drivers communicated with each other via mobile phones which they started to use after leaving Gaziantep and turned off right before arriving Ankara.
The police determined that the second car stopped at 30 kilometers to Ankara and waited for the vehicle in front to check for police control points. After notifying the bombers, the escort car returned directly to Gaziantep.
Bombers took taxi
After entering the city, the bombers took a taxi to reach the bombing site, asking him to drive them to Sihhiye Square where the march was planned to take place.
Due to traffic, taxi took the bombers near Ankara Train Station where the marchers gathered to walk Sihhiye Square.
Two explosions were heard 4 minutes 15 seconds after the bombers got out of the taxi.
A photo showing two suicide bombers walking after getting out of a yellow taxi near Ankara's main train station was published on Oct. 20.
2.5 tonnes of explosives seized
More than 500 security and intelligence experts were employed by Ankara Police Department Anti-Terror Branch in order to pursue a comprehensive investigation.
Total of eight teams were sent to Gaziantep to make further investigation in suspects’ houses and storages.
Detaining several suspects, the security forces seized 2.5 tonnes of ammonium nitrate and other explosive materials, which are commonly used in bomb making.
According to report, the ammonium nitrate found in the storage in Gaziantep was planned to be used for an attack on Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) main headquarter located in Ankara.
The suspects were planning to carry out the attack with bomb-laden truck for which they allegedly allocated 11,000 Turkish liras.
The truck was planned to be carried to Ankara onboard a tow truck. The terrorists were then going to leave the bomb loaded truck in a street near the HDP building after putting a provincial license plate on it, said an Anadolu Agency report.
HDP co-chair Yuksekdag a target
The suspects also confessed to police that they were preparing to carry out an attack against HDP co-chair Figen Yuksekdag with hand grenades which were seized during investigations in suspects’ houses located in Gaziantep.
After investigation had been launched, total of 20 suspects were detained while the court ordered the arrest of four.
The Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office said on Oct. 19 that nine suspects of the Ankara twin bombings managed to escape as they were informed about the suspects list published in the press despite a media ban.
One of the nine suspects, for whom an arrest warrant had been issued, was revealed on Wednesday to have links with ISIS, using the code name “Ebu Ali."
The suspect Y.D. has been identified as the so-called “Antep Commander” of ISIS and was in charge of Turkey’s southeastern province of Gaziantep.
The police also found out that Y.D. owns a self storage unit in Gaziantep, upon a search of the unit, six AK-47 Kalashnikov machine guns, one gun with a silencer, 22 F1-type hand grenades, 1,683 bullets from various sizes and brands and 8 detonators were seized by security officers during an anti-terror operation.