Senior PKK leader says no to ceasefire, rejects peace plans

PKK's umbrella organisation KCK leader Cemil Bayik turns down ceasefire option despite disarmament calls from politicians

KCK co-leader Cemil Bayik and HDP co-chair Selahattin Demirtas stand next to each other at a PKK camp along with acting PKK leader Murat Karayilan.

Updated Aug 25, 2015

Top leader for the outlawed PKK's umbrella organisation KCK, Cemil Bayik, said that PKK refuses to agree on laying down arms which has been the main condition put forward by Turkish government to establish peace to end 30 years long conflict with PKK. 

Speaking to German newspaper Welt am Sonntag on Sunday, Bayik said “Neither Turkey nor we [the PKK and affiliates] believe the problem can be solved with arms. However, the ceasefire which we previously called eight times cannot be one sided. During our last attempt, we even withdrew our militants but Turkey has ended every step which lead to a successful progress in peace."

Despite Turkey's efforts to progress in a peace plan launched in 2013 and implementation of legislation to resolve issues, the outlawed group has been rejecting to disarm and withdraw outside Turkey's borders.

On July 11, KCK decided to end the ceasefire which was reached with the Turkish government at the end of 2012, using the construction of dams in southeastern Turkey as an excuse.

Issued a statement to declare the end of ceasefire, the group threatened Turkey with attacks.

Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) co-chair Selahattin Demirtas called on PKK on Saturday to stop its attacks and lay down arms, saying “Not tomorrow, right now, I want to make a call here in Izmir. The deaths must be stopped immediately. PKK must stop armed attacks, bombings and violent acts. There is no excuse for using arms and violence.”

PKK, which is listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, NATO, the US, and the EU, is an armed militant group that has been carrying out terror attacks mostly in southeast Turkey, since the early 1980s.

PKK raised its terror attacks since July 20 when a suicide bombing allegedly carried out by ISIS in Suruc claimed 34 lives in Turkey’s southeastern province of Sanliurfa.

Since then, PKK has killed at least 60 Turkish security officers in terror attacks.

Armed clashes and acts of violence carried out by the militant group has continued on and off for more than 30 years, and the conflict has claimed more than 40,000 lives.

In early 2013, Turkey launched a "Peace Process" to end years of armed conflict wıth PKK and build reforms regarding the constitution. 

AA, TRTWorld and agencies