Several security officers injured in PKK terror attacks

Militants belonging to outlawed PKK carry out terror attacks injuring several Turkish security officers

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Turkish police seen taking strict security measures in southeast of the country

Attacks launched by the outlawed PKK since Wednesday night have led to the injury of several security officers in Turkey's eastern provinces.

Terror attacks by the PKK have intensified since the ending of a three year old ceasefire by the PKK's umbrella organisation the KCK on July 12.

The PKK is recognised as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US, EU and UK. 

A personnel vehicle carrying Turkish soldiers was attacked by PKK terrorists in Turkey's eastern province of Igdir. Following the attack two police officers were injured and an operation was launched to capture the militants.

PKK terrorists injured four Turkish soldiers, one of them severely, in an attack on the Hizan gendarmerie station command in Turkey’s southeastern province of Bitlis on Thursday. The wounded soldiers were taken to hospital by a helicopter.

PKK terrorists also attacked a police vehicle with rocket propelled grenades and long range weapons in southeastern province of Van on Wednesday night, injuring two police officers.

The attack on the police vehicle took place when armored vehicles were dispatched to the region to remove the roadblocks which militants had earlier set up there.

While the injured police officers were taken to the state hospital for treatment, wide-scale operations have started in the area to catch the militants. 

The PKK is an armed militant group that has been carrying out terror attacks mostly in Turkey’s southeast since early 1980s. The group was founded by its leader Abdullah Ocalan, who was captured in Kenya and imprisoned by Turkey in 1999.

More than 40,000 people have lost their lives during 30 years of armed conflict between the PKK and the Turkish government.

According to records, the number of fallen soldiers in terror attacks since the deadly Suruc bombing on July 20 is now over 60 while six civilians have also been killed.

More terror attacks in region

PKK terrorists fired at a police vehicle in Turkey’s southern province of Osmaniye on Wednesday night and carried out another terrorist attack on the Saritas gendarmerie station in Turkey’s eastern province of Tunceli the same night.

Security officers responded to the attack when a group of PKK members opened fire at the station with long range weapons.

No loss of lives or injuries have been reported following the attacks. 

A group of outlawed PKK members also attacked a barrage which is under construction in Bingol Province.

Following a clash between the assailants and security officers, five people - including three soldiers and two private security guards - were injured and taken to hospital.

In Turkey’s east, soldiers from the Kars provincial gendarmerie command seized 250 kilograms of explosives during field surveys between the districts of Digor and Kagizman.

The explosives, which were thought to belong to the PKK, were destroyed in a controlled explosion.

Istanbul police seize militants preparing for attack

In Turkey’s largest city, Istanbul, two armed PKK terrorists preparing for a terror attack were captured at Uzuncayir metrobus station.

After a criminal background check it was found that the two militants have an extensive criminal record, ranging from drug related charges to assault with a deadly weapon.

The two PKK members, both aged 24, were taken to the Police Headquarters Anti-Terror Branch for interrogation. After the interrogation, the police confiscated documents belonging to the militant organisation and their weapons.

A large-scale investigation was launched into the incident.

Hakkari Governate orders curfew in Turkey’s southeast

The governor’s office of Hakkari recently announced an open-ended curfew starting at 10:30pm on Thursday in Yuksekova district, due to increased terror attacks by the PKK in the area. 

Following the decision to enact a curfew, frequent gun shots have been heard in some neighbourhoods in Yuksekova.

Militants threw stones at armoured police vehicles, set up barricades and started fires while the police tried to disperse them with pressurised water.

Local media sources reported that there were some casualties following the clashes in the area.

TRTWorld and agencies