Suicide bombing suspect in Turkey’s Suruc identified

Suruc suicide bombing suspect identified by Turkish officials, affiliation with ISIS confirmed

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

The suspect who carried out a suicide bombing in the Suruc border district of Turkey’s southeastern Sanliurfa province which killed 32 people has been identified as 20-year-old Seyh Abdurrahman Alagoz according to DNA tests, Turkish officials reported on Wednesday.

Turkish officials said, "as a result of DNA tests, we confirm that the assailant is a 20-year-old Seyh Abdurrahman Alagoz registered in Adiyaman.”

Local media outlets alleged that Alagoz had traveled illegally to Syria back in 2014.

A total of 32 people were killed on Monday in a massive explosion that hit the garden of the Amara Culture Centre where members of the pro-Kurdish Federation of Socialist Youth Associations (SGDF) gathered for a press meeting, before crossing into Syria to support the people of Kobani.

The group aimed to stay in Kobani until July 26 to carry out activities, including building a playground, planting a memorial forest and providing health services to the local people.

According to police, Alagoz and his brother Yunus Emre went missing from their home in the southeastern province of Adiyaman six months ago.

Their family fled their home following media reports on the bombing that indicated Alagoz was a suspect.

Turkish media reported that Alagoz’s mother said that her son had returned home 10 days ago but then disappeared.

Yunus Emre, the suspect’s brother, was running a tea house in Adiyaman which was closed 18 months ago by police and local authorities who said Yunus Emre was suspected of being involved in recruitment for ISIS, police officials added.

Speaking after his visit to the injured victims, Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Tuesday that the identity of the suicide bomber was determined and his connection with ISIS had been confirmed.

One of the biggest battles against ISIS took place in Kobani last year. Supported by the US-led anti-ISIS coalition, Syrian-Kurdish fighters from the YPG – the military wing of the Syrian Democratic Union Party – regained control over Kobani near the end of January after four months of fighting.

TRTWorld and agencies