President of Syrian Turkmen Council, Abdurrahman Mustafa said on Monday that Syrian Turkmens should also be represented during the upcoming peace talks in Geneva for a political solution in Syria.
Mustafa said It is challenging that all religious and ethnic groups, except for the Turkmens, will take part in Syrian peace talks despite the fact that Turkmens have made great sacrifices for the revolution in the country and bestowed thirty thousand martyrs to that aim.
Disregarding the presence of Turkmens will not bring a fair peace to Syria. he added.
Meanwhile, the United Nations is trying to secure the restart of the postponed Syrian peace talks on Friday, said the UN special envoy to the Syrian conflict on Monday.
The UN mediator in the Syrian conflict, Staffan de Mistura said at a press conference in Geneva that a list of delegates on behalf of the Syrian government and opposition has been finalised, and he will send invitations to the participants of the negotiation in order to secure a meeting on Friday.
Talks between the Syrian government and opposition had been due to start in Geneva on Monday, but it was delayed partly because of a dispute over who will be part of the opposition delegation.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Monday that efforts to include "terror groups like the [PKK’s Syrian affiliate] YPG" among the opposition groups in Syrian peace talks was very dangerous and would undermine the process.
Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu also opposed to presence of YPG among the opposition groups during the talks as YPG is the armed wing of the PYD, which Turkey considers Syrian extension of PKK terrorist organisation.
Davutoglu emphasized that Turkey was not against the presence of Syrian Kurds at the table, but was firmly against YPG.
Mustafa says Syrian Turkmens are under fire
The Turkmen leader also touched upon the struggle of Syrian Turkmens in Bayirbucak area saying that they still continue to fight not only against to regime forces but also against several terrorist groups.
“Russia, as a superpower, also has been attacking Turkmens in the region since Sept. 30. There is an ongoing ethnic cleansing in that area against Turkmens as Iran, Iraq, Hezbollah and regime forces hit them both from land and sea.” Mustafa said.
He also noted that Russian air strikes went on to kill scores of civilians and destroyed schools, hospitals and mosques in Bayirbucak.
“We are worried about a number of almost 20 thousand civilians in Turkmen mountains.Turkish officials said, they have taken necessary steps for these people as well in case of their being forced to migrate to the refugee camps in Yayladagi district.” he said.