Over 1,000 foreign DAESH suspects have been apprehended in Turkey over the last year, Turkey’s military said on Saturday.
According to the Turkish General Staff, 643 DAESH suspects were detained as they attempted to cross into Turkey, while 496 were held while trying to enter Syria from Turkey from Jan. 1, 2015 until now.
These numbers translate into a 90 percent increase in the amount of DAESH suspects held over the last five months of 2015, compared to earlier that year, the military said.
The Turkish Army said that illegal border crossings mainly took place in the country's southeastern Kilis Province, near the Syrian border.
DAESH terror attacks have killed nearly 150 civilians in Turkey since July 2015.
In October 2015, 103 people were killed in a twin DAESH suicide bomb attack in Turkey's capital, Ankara. On July, 20, 2015 another DAESH suicide bombing resulted in the death of 34 people in Suruc District of Turkey's southeastern Sanliurfa Province, which borders Syria.
A recent suicide attack, determined to be carried out by a DAESH terrorist, took place in Istanbul's Fatih District, killing 11 German tourists and wounding 15 -mostly foreign- tourists on Jan. 12, 2016.
Following the attack, Turkish tanks and artillery heavily bombarded DAESH positions in Syria and Iraq, leading to the death of at least 200 terrorists, according to Turkish Prime Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu.