Turkey detains two suspects over affiliation with bomb attack

Turkey detains two people due to being suspected members of PKK over tweets saying ‘’bomb to explode in Ankara!’’ before deadly terror attack took place

Photo by: Reuters
Photo by: Reuters

Site of bomb attack which claimed lives of 97 people in Ankara on Saturday is examined by police forensic experts

Turkish security forces have detained two suspects who stated on their twitter accounts that ‘’The bomb will explode in Ankara!’’ before the most deadly terror attack of the country on Oct. 10 in capital Ankara. 

Security sources have said that the two suspects are reported to be members of the outlawed PKK and the investigation into the incident is still ongoing.

The prosecution office have taken three suspected twitter accounts into examination after demanding the IP addresses from Twitter through the Presidency of the Telecommunications and Communication. 

PKK is recognized as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the US, EU and the UK.

The suspects using the nicknames of "Pir Ozan Abdal" and "Dibereday" and holding three different accounts, made several speculative comments about the rally in Ankara.

One of the most striking posts by Dibereday said ‘’The bomb will explode in Ankara,’’ while Pir Ozan Abdal wrote ‘’A probable bombing in the rally could cause one of the greatest massacres,’’ adding that could lead to a political disaster.

He also said ‘’No incident may occur. Then again, with a little provocation, hundreds of people may die. I will be there too, these maybe my last tweets.’’

The twin suicide bombings targeted a march organised by leftist labor unions in Turkey’s capital, where the death toll now stands at 97 while more than 500 people have been injured.

Turkish Prime Minister Davutoglu on Wednesday gave details about ongoing investigation about the two suspects of the deadly bombing, stating that the evidence points out to two different terror organisations.

On Monday, PM announced that ISIS was the prime suspect of the bombings and officials identified the name of one of the suspects.

During the meeting, Davutoglu said “We are investigating possible relations between the two terror organisations. It is determined that one of the suspects came to the scene with a backpack loaded with explosives while the other one was wearing a vest.”
“We will not leave this case unsolved. The ones behind this massacre and their connections will be determined. We will take necessary steps if there is any negligence in the bureaucracy. Nothing will be concealed,” he added.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also said on Tuesday that the government continues to search for the perpetrators behind country’s deadliest terror attack and added that the State Inspection Board (DDK) has been assigned by the presidency to tackle the case comprehensively using a different approach.

Underlining Turkey does not classify terrorist organizations depending on how they describe themselves, what their names are, discourse adopted or the methods they use. He also noted that those who fail to approach the issue as Turkey does and use double standards for terrorist organisations are “supporting terrorism.”

PKK’s umbrella organisation, KCK unilaterally ended a two-year-long cease fire with the Turkish government on July 11.

Since then, 140 security officials and more than 30 civilians have been murdered in PKK terror attacks.


TRTWorld and agencies