Turkish Interior Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that Ankara provincial police chief and the heads of intelligence and security departments were suspended to assure a heathy investigation into Saturday's bombings which claimed the lives of 97 people.
The attack, which took place near the Ankara train station on Saturday, killed 97 people and officials confirm that 317 out of 508 of those who were injured have been discharged from the hospitals.
A march organised by leftist labor unions and political parties was targeted by twin suicide bombers around 10:00 am when crowds had just started to gather in front of Ankara’s main train station, outside of the main area where the march was due to take place, Sihhiye Square.
The Interior Ministry did not make any statement as to whether the suspended officials would return to their status after the investigation.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that the government continues to investigate the perpetrators behind country’s deadliest terror attack, and added that the State Inspection Board (DDK) is assigned by presidency to tackle the case comprehensively with a different approach.
Erdogan said those claiming a deep state role in the bombing, in fact, are “concealing themselves” and underlined that “the era of unidentified murders have ended in Turkey,” adding the attack is being investigated meticulously and the attackers are going to be brought to justice.
Reminding that the terror attack is also a test faced by the nation, Erdogan expressed his belief that the “test” would be overcome with the work of security forces and the wisdom of the nation.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu also previously announced that ISIS is the prime suspect of country’s most deadly bombing and said officials are close to identifying one of the suspects’ name.