Turkey tightens border security after Suruc attack

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu declares security measures at Syrian border has been tightened following explosion in southeastern district of Suruc near border

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has announced that security measures at Turkey’s Syrian border has been tightened after a huge explosion that hit the southeastern district of Suruc on Monday which led to the deaths of 32 people and injuring more than 100. 

Davutoglu said, “Security measures will increasingly be carried on at Syrian border. Conflicts of many countries around Turkey can reach a point where the clashes could affect Turkey’s domestic tranquility,” speaking at a press conference after the incident.  

He also said, “We will assess an action plan and take necessary measures concerning additional security steps along our border with Syria in our cabinet meeting tomorrow.”

Turkish media reported that the Syrian border was completely shut down and patrolling military units and three unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) have been closely monitoring the area for 24 hours.

In addition, it has been reported that Turkish military sent one more UAV to monitor ISIS movements along the Syrian border. 

Suruc is located in the Sanliurfa province across Kobane, 8 kilometre from the northern Syrian district  near border.

The suicide bombing took place in the garden of the Amara Culture Centre where members of the Federation of Socialist Youth Associations (SGDF) gathered for a press meeting called “rebuilding Kobane.” 

The group consisted of nearly 300 people, they were planning to cross into the Syrian border settlement of Kobane to distribute humanitarian aid and assist in rebuilding the city. Kobane is one of the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) controlled “cantons,” which was besieged by ISIS in September 2014.

Davutoglu condemned the attack and said the signs of the attack pointed to ISIS as responsible.

Davutoglu said even though the respondent of the attack is not certainly revealed yet, the Turkish security forces consider ISIS as the possible mastermind of the suicide bombing. 

The Suruc attack could be the second bombing of ISIS within Turkish territories, if it is confirmed by the Turkish government that the group is behind the incident. 

No group has yet claimed responsibility of the attack.

Turkish media previously reported that ISIS was behind the bombing of a rally by the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) in Turkey’s southeastern province of Diyarbakir two days before Turkey’s June 7 general elections. 

The media said the detained suspect claimed to have links with ISIS in his statement to Turkish police.  

Both attacks took  place in the southeastern region of Turkey where there is a sizeable population of Kurds. 

TRTWorld and agencies