Turkish businessmen detained in Russia return home

Turkish businessmen taken into custody in Russia released after being treated harshly

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Twenty six Turkish businessmen who were taken into police custody in the Russian city of Krasnodar late on Wednesday have returned home after being harshly treated by Russian police.

The businessmen, who were in Krasnodar to attend the International Agricultural Exhibition YugAgro, were taken from their pavilions in the fair area to a police station for "passport control" and held at the police station until their hearing in a court early on Thursday.

The businessmen arriving in Turkey said that Russian officials treated them harshly, keeping them without food and water during the detention and also seizing some of their belongings from their baggage.

They added that several other Turkish citizens visiting Russia for touristic or business purposes were exposed to the same ill treatment such as being interrogated without a solid reason.

Corroborating this, some Turkish citizens arriving in Russian airports reported that they were sent back to Turkey after being verbally harassed by Russian officials.

The incidents occurred after Turkey shot down a Russian Su-24 fighter jet on Tuesday after it entered Turkish airspace over the southern border province of Hatay for a total of 17 seconds, after it was warned 10 times in five minutes before being downed.

The Turkish Armed Forces released radar footage of the incident supporting its claim that Russia violated Turkey's airspace.

The Turkish Army also released audio recordings of warnings that were given to the Russian pilot before the jet was shot down.


Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan rejected calls by Russia to apologise and added that Turkey does not need to say sorry for opposing violations of its airspace.

He also stressed that when the jet was shot down it had not been identified as belonging to the Russian Federation.

Erdogan said that the plane "ignored repeated warnings for over five minutes" to leave Turkish airspace and had failed to identify itself.

However, Russian President Vladimir Putin insisted the plane was easily identifiable and the jet’s flight coordinates had been passed on to Turkey’s ally, the United States.

The Turkish embassy in Moscow issued an advisory on its official social media accounts for Turkish citizens in Russia, requesting them to carry their passports on their persons and other documents and ensure their visas and permits are valid.

The embassy also reiterated that they should "meticulously obey the rules in Russia and warnings of Russian authorities."

It also asked Turkish citizens who travel to Russia to check whether the travel documents they filled in upon entering the country conform with their purpose of travel.

TRTWorld and agencies