Turkish death toll from Mecca crane collapse rises to seven

Seven Turkish pilgrims among those killed in Friday's crane collapse in Mecca mosque, according to Turkish officials

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Injured Turkish pilgrims being treated at a hospital in this September 13,2015 dated photo.

The number of Turkish nationals killed Friday when a crane collapsed in a mosque in Mecca teeming with Muslim pilgrims has risen to seven, Turkish officials said Sunday.

According to officials from Turkey’s Religious Affairs Directorate, the seven have been identified as: Kadir Gokmen, Ramazan Ozmen, Sukru Karatepe, Suleyman Eskiler, Yusuf Alci, Metin Yazgan and Erol Karaagacli.

According to the Saudi authorities, a total of 107 people were killed on Friday afternoon when a massive crane collapsed in Mecca’s Grand Mosque, which at the time had been teeming with worshippers performing the annual Hajj pilgrimage.

According to earlier statements by Turkey’s Religious Affairs Directorate, 21 Turkish nationals were injured in the accident.

Saudi officials have attributed the accident to “severe storms and strong winds,” which, they said, had caused a part of one of the cranes inside the mosque – which is currently undergoing massive expansion works – to fall.