Turkish gendarmerie commander killed in eastern Mus province

Gendarmerie Garrison Major Arslan Kulaksız shot dead in armed attack in Turkey’s eastern Mus province

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Malazgirt District Gendarmerie Garrison Major Arslan Kulaksiz was shot dead in an armed attack on Monday evening in eastern Mus province, Turkish Armed Forces announced.

The attack happened when Kulaksiz’s car broke down while he was returning home with his wife.

Kulaksiz stepped out of the car to control his vehicle and was caught in a crossfire at 7:20pm (1620 GMT) by two other vehicles, allegedly belonging to PKK terrorists, following them.

The major and his wife were taken to Malazgirt State hospital with ambulances after the attack.

Despite all the efforts to keep him alive, Major Kulaksiz could not be saved and he passed away at 10.30pm (1930 GMT), Mus Governor Vedat Büyükersoy told Anadolu Agency.

Backup units were dispatched to the region after the incident and security forces immediately launched a wide-scale operation to catch the militants.

Turkey has stepped up efforts against militant groups such as ISIS and outlawed PKK following the rise of violent attacks after a suicide bombing killing 32 people on July 20 allegedly carried out by ISIS in the Suruc district of the southeastern Sanliurfa province.

Security forces have detained 1,050 suspects across 34 Turkish provinces since the nationwide "anti-terrorist operations" in the country began.

Most of the suspects are allegedly members of ISIS, PKK and the far-left Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C), the Turkish Prime Minister’s Office of Public Diplomacy said in a statement Monday.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu spoke at a press conference regarding the operations earlier this week.

“The operations targeting members of ISIS the outlawed DHKP-C, the outlawed PKK and the PKK’s youth affiliate the Patriotic Revolutionary Youth Movement (YDG-H) will continue as long as the threats remain,” he said.

With the death of Kulaksız the number of Turkish soldiers killed by militant groups since Suruc bombing rose to four.

Attacks on police also claimed lives of four officers since June 20.

In the latest attack against the police, one officer, Mehmet Fatih Sivri was shot and killed by YDG-H militants in Sultangazi district of Istanbul while trying to make arrest after police dispersed a group “belonging to an illegal organization.”

YDG-H has called for an “uprising” and attacks on Turkish security forces on its Twitter account last week.

Gazi neighborhood is known to be a stronghold for militant groups such as YDG-H and DHKP-C, who many times attacked the police officers in the past when they tried to enter the area to ensure law and order.

Following the rise of tension and attacks in the city, Istanbul police headquarters has sent a warning to all security units in Istanbul for possible bomb attacks on metro lines and metrobus stops.


TRTWorld and agencies