Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Friday visited the Silopi district of Turkey’s southeastern province of Sirnak, which was the scene of heavy clashes between security forces and PKK terrorists until recently.
Davutoglu attended Friday prayer at Sirnak Carsi mosque along with nine ministers from his cabinet.
He pledged immediate compensation for the people of Silopi and said the government is making all efforts to heal wounds in the district.
“All our ministries are in a serious effort to rapidly compensate the destruction that occurred. Damaged buildings have been identified; damage assessment efforts completed and a huge reconstruction activity will start in Silopi as of tomorrow [Saturday],” the prime minister said.
The visit was kept a secret due to security reasons until Davutoglu arrived in the province.
Silopi was among the southeastern districts where Turkish security forces launched comprehensive anti-terror operations to scatter the network of PKK in mid-December.
The curfew in the district was removed in January 2016, after security forces cleared the area from PKK terrorists and barricades with booby traps.
Davutoglu said residents of buildings with little damage would be paid to carry out repairs at their homes, while critically-damaged buildings would be included in urban transformation projects. Besides terror-hit buildings, poorly-constructed buildings will also be renewed as part of the compensation.
Roads and infrastructure of the district would also be renewed.
“The damages in road and sewage infrastructure will swiftly be solved, all roads will be rehabilitated and all infrastructure deficiencies will be completed,” he said.
The prime minister also vowed to grant credit to Silopi residents in efforts to revive the economic life in the district.
On February 5, PM Davutoglu announced that a 10-step action plan will be implemented against PKK terrorism in the southeastern provinces which saw great damage in PKK terror attacks.
Davutoglu said that first principle of the plan is to provide psycho-social rehabilitation to local people victimised by PKK terror attacks.
Reconstructing public order, introducing an urban transformation project and setting up an effective communication strategy between government and locals are among the steps to be taken.
Turkey has long been confronted with armed attacks in its southeastern and eastern regions by the PKK which is recognised as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, the US and the EU.
The PKK resumed its 30-year armed campaign against the Turkish state in late July 2015, after unilaterally ending a two-and-a-half-year-long ceasefire with the government and threatening Turkey with further attacks.
Since then, Turkish Security Forces have killed approximately 1,000 PKK terrorists during security operations, while more than 300 people including security officials and civilians have died in consequence of PKK terror attacks in Turkey.