Turkish soldier dies in PKK terror attack in Diyarbakir

PKK terrorists exploded remote-controlled bomb leading to death of one Turkish soldier and wounding five other military personnel in southeastern province of Diyarbakir

Photo by: AA
Photo by: AA

A Turkish soldier dies from heavy wounds in the southeastern region of Diyarbakir following a remote-controlled bomb attack by PKK terrorists on Dec. 23, 2015

Updated Jan 3, 2016

PKK terrorists exploded a remote-controlled bomb in the Sur district of the southeastern Diyarbakir province leading to the death of one Turkish soldier and wounding five other military personnel.

The bomb attack occurred during Turkish military’s security operations in the district on Dec. 23, aiming to fill the trenches, remove barricades, and neutralise IEDs which have been bobby-trapped on the roads by PKK terrorists.

The PKK is recognised as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, NATO, the US, and EU.

PKK’s youth wing YDG-H has reportedly dug ditches in a considerable number of districts in the southeast and eastern provinces of Turkey where Democratic Regions Party (DBP)-aligned mayors have recently announced declarations of “democratic autonomy.”

The Turkish government previously declared that it will not submit to “the trench politics” of the PKK terrorist organisation which has placed a heavy burden on civilians living in Turkey’s southeast and eastern regions.

In the same districts, the Turkish government has been launching an extensive internal security operation in order to scatter the network of the terrorist PKK groups.

The PKK has been equipped primarily in those districts during the “Resolution Process” according to various reports.

In the beginning of 2013, Turkey announced its “Resolution Process” aimed at resolving the armed conflict and the PKK seemed responsive until mid-July 2015 under the instructions of its imprisoned  leader, Abdullah Ocalan.

PKK terror attacks have killed more than 200 security officials in Turkey since the group’s umbrella organisation, the KCK, unilaterally ended a two and a half year-long ceasefire with the government on July 11 and threatened Turkey with attacks.

Turkey has long been confronted with armed attacks in its southeastern regions by the PKK, which was founded in 1974 by Abdullah Ocalan and his supporters in Ankara. Armed clashes and acts of violence have continued on and off for more than 30 years, and claimed more than 40,000 lives.

TRTWorld and agencies