Officials said on Monday that two Turkish soldiers died and 13 PKK terrorists had been killed in two days of clashes, in Turkey's southeastern provinces.
The PKK terrorists were killed in a clash in Turkey’s Idil district of Sirnak Province, which has been under curfew since February 16, in an effort to root the terrorists out.
The military said on Sunday that a soldier had died in Idil.
Another Turkish soldier also died early Monday after being hit by a sharpshooter in Diyarbakir Province’s historic Sur district.
According to a statement from the Turkish General Staff, the soldier was severely wounded during an ongoing anti-terror operation in the district and later succumbed to his wounds in the hospital.
Sur is listed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List and its monuments have been badly damaged in clashes, since the imposed curfew on the district on Dec. 2, due to PKK terrorists.
Turkish Prime Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu, said on Sunday that the lockdown in Sur would end by March 21.
Davutoglu also said that they will rebuild and repair homes that were harmed by clashes.
The army said on Saturday that since July of last year, an estimated 1,250 terrorists have been killed in Nusaybin, Dargecit and Derik districts of Mardin Province, Silvan and Sur districts of Diyarbakir Province, along with Silopi, Cizre and Idil districts of the province of Sirnak and Varto district of Mus Province.
Only 260 of the terrorist death toll is listed to be from Diyarbakir’s Sur district.
The military said that the number of ditches and barricades removed in its operations have reached 2,307 in total, 85 of which took place in Dargecit, 22 in Silvan, 788 in Silopi, 951 in Cizre, 24 in Derik, 52 in Nusaybin, 174 in Idil and 211 in Sur.
Nearly 3,000 explosive devices planted in houses, gardens and on roads have been dealt with in the areas where the operations took place.
More than 280 security forces have died and thousands of PKK terrorists have been killed in operations across Turkey and northern Iraq since December 2015.