Two Turkish soldiers killed, four injured in PKK attack

Two Turkish soldiers killed and four others injured in PKK attack in southeastern Diyarbakir province of Turkey

Photo by: AA archive photo
Photo by: AA archive photo

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Two Turkish soldiers have been killed and four others injured after a car filled with explosives was blown up by PKK terrorists whilst a military vehicle was passing by in Lice district of southeastern Diyarbakir province late on Saturday.

According to a statement by Diyarbakir governor's office, the gendarmerie teams were headed to the area over warnings that PKK terrorists have been stopping people’s cars between Diyarbakir and Bingol provinces and hijacking their vehicles.

The four injured soldiers have been immediately taken to hospitals in Diyarbakir.

Numerous reinforcement teams have been sent to the area and a large scale operation was launched to capture the assailants.

Turkey has stepped up efforts against militant groups such as ISIS and the PKK following increasing violent attacks after a suicide bombing on July 20 allegedly carried out by ISIS which killed 32 people in the Suruc district of the southeastern Sanliurfa province.

Following the attack, four Turkish police officers were killed in various attacks. The PKK claimed responsibility for at least one of the attacks.

In last two days, Turkey launched two separate air strikes targeting several positions used by the PKK and ISIS in northern Iraq and Syria respectively.

The PKK and ISIS are listed as terrorist organizations by Turkey as well as the US and EU.

Patriotic Revolutionist Youth Movement (YDG-H), the youth wing of the outlawed PKK has also called for an uprising on their Twitter account.

Speaking at a press conference regarding Turkey’s air strikes and anti-terror operations against militant groups, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Saturday that the Turkish government will not condone militants threats.

Separately, Turkish police detained a total of 590 people, including at least 37 foreigners, in joint operations launched in 22 Turkish provinces against ISIS, the PKK, and DHKP-C, said the prime minister.

Davutoglu said that 302 people had been detained on Friday and 288 others on Saturday.

“Since the June 7 elections, there have been 281 terror attacks, including 121 armed attacks, five kidnappings, 17 extortions, in which five officers were killed. We cannot leave the field empty against terrorism,” Davutoglu emphasized.

TRTWorld and agencies