The military wing of the Syrian Democratic Union Party (PYD), People’s Protection Units (YPG) spokesman Redur Halil affirmed on Thursday that ISIS militants did not enter Kobane from Turkish border gate in north, rather the militants carrying out car bombings entered the city through its south and the west of the country.
Speaking to Al Jazeera English, Halil said “A group of ISIS militants wearing YPG uniforms entered the city with five cars carrying opposition groups’ flags. They exploded the car near Mursitpinar border gate.”
On Thursday morning, car explosions took place by the Mursitpinar border gate and another car bombing happened nearby the gate at noon.
Mursitpinar gate is located on Turkish border and initial reports following the car explosions carried out near the border had claimed the cars entered via Turkish border gate.
However, security footage released by Mursitpinar border gates -showing the moment of the car bombing - shows that the ISIS militants who exploded the cars did not arrive from Turkey’s borders.
Emphasising that 35 ISIS militants advance into the city, Halil continued “They are besieged by the YPG forces. 10 of them died during the clashes and three of them fled to Turkey. Some witnesses said that they saw ISIS militants coming from Turkey but till now we did not find any proof of ISIS entering Kobane from Turkey.”
Turkey’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs denied the claims that ISIS militants entered from Turkey, calling it “entirely untrue.”
“We have received information that suicide attacks were carried out near our Syrian border with three vehicles and clashes began after the explosions. So far, we have received 63 injured and two people died including a child. The treatment of injured continues at the Suruc state hospital,” Bilgic said.
Following the explosion, Turkey’s pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) co-chair Figen Yuksekdag accused Turkish government of supporting ISIS militants and claimed that ISIS militants that carried out the bombing passed through Turkey’s borders.
“We have solid information that the militants passed by Turkey’s border and this is nothing new. Many evidence have been presented in the past,” said Yuksekdag, however after the video footage was released she retreated and said, “Turkey must prove that it did not support the militants.”
However, Yuksekdag has failed to provide any evidence she claimed to have regarding Turkey’s support yet.
Initial reports had said a dozen people died and over 40 people were injured.
Office of Suruc district governor Abdullah Ciftci confirmed that the number of injured people under treatment in Turkey’s Suruc state hospital increased to 135 in which 41 are critically wounded and four died.