Iran pushes diplomacy as Trump weighs possible limited strike

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi dismissed claims that negotiations have stalled, saying Tehran is prepared to take confidence-building steps in return for US sanctions relief.

By
Iranian FM notes that Tehran is prepared for both war and diplomacy. / AFP

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that Tehran has neither proposed suspending its nuclear programme nor faced a US demand for zero enrichment in ongoing negotiations, even as US President Donald Trump said he is considering a limited military strike on Iran to pressure it into a deal.

In an interview with US cable network MS Now, Araghchi said on Friday that Tehran and Washington are discussing ways to ensure that Iran’s nuclear programme, including enrichment, remains peaceful.

“If anyone is seeking a solution to Iran’s nuclear programme and wants to ensure that it remains peaceful, the only path is negotiation and a diplomatic solution,” Araghchi said.

Meanwhile, Trump said that he is considering a limited strike on Iran. "I guess I can say I am considering that,” Trump told reporters at the White House when asked if he was considering a limited military strike to pressure Iran into a deal.

Trump did not give out details and did not respond to other questions at the event.

Iran and the United States resumed nuclear negotiations earlier this month in Muscat, followed by another round of talks in Geneva on Tuesday under Omani mediation.

The renewed diplomacy comes amid heightened regional tensions, fueled by a significant US military buildup in the Gulf as well as Iranian military drills.

Trump, speaking at the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, warned that the US would opt for military action against Iran “within 10 to 15 days” if negotiations fail.

He emphasised that Tehran must reach a “meaningful” deal and reiterated that Iran cannot be allowed to have nuclear weapons, which he said would undermine regional security.

“They must make a deal. If that doesn’t happen … bad things will happen,” he warned, reiterating previous threats that prompted reactions from top Iranian officials.

Confidence-building measures

Araghchi dismissed speculation that the negotiations have not progressed, stressing that Iran would initiate confidence-building measures and the US would lift sanctions.

He said the two sides had “very good discussions” in Geneva on the nuclear programme and sanctions, reaching an understanding on a set of “guiding principles for negotiations” and the “possible framework of an agreement.”

“We were then asked to prepare a draft of a potential agreement so that, at the next meeting, we could discuss that draft, begin negotiating its text, and hopefully reach a conclusion. This is the path ahead of us,” he said.

The top diplomat stressed that there is “no military solution” to the nuclear issue, noting that last June’s attack on the country’s nuclear facilities and the killing of scientists “failed to eliminate” the programme.

“This technology cannot be destroyed through bombing or military action. The only solution is diplomacy. That is why the United States has returned to the negotiating table and is seeking an agreement,” Araghchi said.

He added that Iran is prepared for both war and diplomacy.

Addressing bilateral relations, Araghchi said the Iranian people do not consider the American people “enemies,” but view the policies of the US government toward Iran as “hostile.”

“When these hostilities stop, then perhaps we can think about a different kind of relationship,” he stressed.

In his message to the US president and members of Congress, Araghchi said previous US administrations also used “war, sanctions, the snapback mechanism, and more” against Iran.

“If you speak to the Iranian people with the language of respect, we will respond in the same way. But if you speak to us with the language of force, we will respond accordingly.”