An Israeli air strike has killed the son of Hamas’s chief negotiator in Gaza City, a senior Hamas official said, as leaders of the Palestinian resistance group held talks in Cairo aimed at safeguarding their truce with Israel.
Azzam al Hayya, son of Khalil al Hayya, succumbed to his wounds on Thursday after being struck in an Israeli attack on Wednesday night, Hamas official Bassem Naim said.
He is the fourth son of Hamas's Gaza leader to have been killed in Israeli attacks.
Khalil al Hayya, who has seven children, has survived multiple Israeli attempts to kill him.
An Israeli strike in Doha last year targeting Hamas leadership killed another son of his.
Two other sons were killed in past Israeli attempts on his life, in Gaza strikes in 2008 and 2014.
Speaking to Al Jazeera after the attack on Wednesday night, before his son's death was announced, al Hayya accused Israel of trying to undermine mediators' efforts to push ahead with US President Donald Trump's Gaza plan, overseen by his ‘Board of Peace’.
"These Zionist attacks and violations clearly indicate that the occupation does not want to abide by a ceasefire or by the first phase," said al Hayya.
Al Hayya described the attack as "an extension of the Israeli aggression against our people everywhere" and linked it to attempts to pressure Palestinian negotiators through "killing, terror and intimidation".
The Israeli attack came as Palestinian leaders held talks with regional mediators and the Board of Peace’s lead envoy, Nickolay Mladenov, this week in Cairo, to push Trump's Gaza plan into its stalled second phase, officials said.
Five Palestinians, including a police officer, were killed in Israeli strikes targeting civilian gatherings and a police vehicle on Wednesday.
Medics said Naseem al-Kalazani, a colonel in the police force, died when his vehicle was targeted in Khan Younis.
Hamas has accused Israel of escalating attacks in violation of the ceasefire agreement, which entered into force on October 10 2025.
Israel has continued to violate the agreement, resulting in the deaths of 837 Palestinians and injuries to 2,381 others.
The ceasefire followed a two-year Israeli genocide, which began on 8 October 2023, killing more than 72,000 Palestinians and devastating about 90 percent of the enclave’s civilian infrastructure.
Al Hayya has called on the United States and mediating countries to pressure Israel to implement the agreement and halt the offensive.















