We are now hiring for Programme Editors - Broadcast Center in Washington DCProgramme Editor, Programmes
The Programme Editor is responsible for producing original and market-leading programmes for TRT World and other content including packages, segments, documentaries and specials; leading teams of producers and liaising with news desk and operations staff, managing graphics production, editing scripts and providing editorial direction for the programme team. The role may require shift work including evenings and weekends.
• Reporting to the Executive Producer of Programmes, produce accurate, balanced, well produced, impartial, informative, up-to-date & viewer focused programmes or documentaries.
• Ensure content and coverage is consistent with TRT World's editorial policies and values; and complies with applicable laws and regulations.
• Stay up to date with news and current affairs, utilising all available sources (news wires, other agencies, newspapers, social media ...etc.)
• Originate and develop programmes and strands.
• Participate in or lead editorial meetings and propose ideas for programme content.
• Manage and discuss ideas with the programme team and producers; decide on programme direction, content production and guest requirements.
• Approve guests and oversee Interview Producers, ensuring guests are booked who fit programme requirements; book guests when required.
• Review packages and reports and offer feedback to producers / correspondents
• Report and produce from the field when required.
• Write scripts for programmes including headlines, promos, presenter cues, openers; and oversee any writing undertaken by producers.
• Edit video and produce stories for broadcast during programmes.
• Liase with programme director to ensure operations staff can deliver programme requirements.
• Liase with presenter to ensure editorial direction of programme, offering feedback and guidance on programme subject matter and talking points.
• Follow up with presenters, director, producers, interview desk, satellite desk, and the floor manager to ensure daily plan is executed and programme is delivered.
• Work with Executive Producer to agree standards of best practice and ensure these are adhered to by the production team.
• Manage and motivate programme team and work with Executive Producer to oversee professional development of staff.
• Contribute to overall strategy of programmes department, offering feedback and constructive criticism to ensure optimal performance and delivery of strategic goals.
• Minimum of 7 years relevant experience in journalism
• Fluent in both written and spoken English
• An excellent journalist with strong editorial judgment
• Experience in television news or current affairs, including at a national or international broadcaster
· Experience of leading a team and managing producers to meet editorial goals and programme deadlines
• Knowledge of newsroom production systems and desktop editing
• Excellence in writing and editing programme scripts
• Experience of or appreciation of the benefits and difficulties of cross-platform working
• Evidence of a broad range of journalistic interests including social affairs, international politics, public policy, world business and economic affairs, Sciences and the Arts