As a senior member of the Media Operations team, the Head of Craft Editors is responsible for the future strategy and evolution of the editing and post production within the channel. This will include existing and emerging platforms. They are ultimately responsible for the management of the news and programme editing sections in order to service the needs of editorial and programmes.
- Manage and lead by example
- Motivate and inspire team members
- Design and implement workflows
- Mentor and develop team members; help resolve dysfunctional behavior
- Facilitate problem solving, collaboration and communication. Ensure that information flows bi-directionally between Senior Management and team members
- Designing and implementation of policies for news and documentary editing
- Comprehensive knowledge of craft editing, and sound mixing
- Comprehensive knowledge of colour correcting/grading of documentary films
- Subtitling and mastering
- You will have a comprehensive technical knowledge of all editing hardware and software as you will be making decisions about design and implementation of new edit suites and upgrades to existing suites
- You must also understand the integration that exists between editing and all other operational areas
- You will be required to read and evaluate large technical documents, BOQ’s and system schematics
- You will be required to aid in the design, installation, testing and commissioning of new systems
- You will need to be able to write, evaluate and/or approve acceptance documents
- You will need to be able to design training plans
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Minimum High school diploma or higher and relevant experience in related fields.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in Broadcast Operations in a senior editing position leading a team, within a file-based operational environment, preferably already in news and current affair.
- A high technical understanding of broadcast operations as well as IT, editing systems, graphics software etc.
- An excellent understanding of news and current affairs and an eye for detail
- Fluent English speaker and able to communicate effectively both verbally and written
- Able to deal with competing demands, remain calm and lead others while under pressure
- An ability to produce and present concise reports
- An ability to lead by example and mentor others
- Recognise early signs of difficulty and act accordingly to resolve them
- A problem solver – able to solve issues quickly and effectively
- Proven in-depth knowledge and experience of contemporary media management practices and their application in an editorial news environment