Afghan forces say they have retaken Jalalabad prison after at least 29 people were killed in an hours-long battle following a Daesh-claimed attack on the facility.
The suspected militants have thrown a grenade into a group of sleeping people inside the camp in the village of Nguetchewe.
The gang opened fire on the soldiers who were on foot in a forested part of the Jibia district in Katsina state, the sources said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Officials say the attacks were carried out by militants, who often say they are defending Fulani herders against rival Dogon farmers but no group has claimed responsibility.
The deadliest attack since March 2016 follows a joint military operation launched by Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso last month to tackle the expanding threat from militants linked to al Qaeda and Daesh in the Sahel region.
Mohammad Rafi Sediqi, an official with Khurshid, confirmed the deaths of two employees. He said the two wounded were in critical condition.
"The initial information we have received indicates the dead bodies of five people were collected from the scene of the blast and more than twenty others have been wounded," police officer Mohamed Muktar said.
Insurgents fired rocket-propelled grenades at a lorry carrying troops as it travelled near Gorgi village in Borno state, two military officers said without giving their names.
Since the start of the month, around 50 people have been killed in the eastern province of Ituri, according to local sources as violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo intensifies.
Armed militants attacked the village of Alamou, killing the people there before burning the structure to the ground, according to a government statement.
Al Shabab said the attack at Camp Simba was part of its "Al Quds (Jerusalem) shall never be Judaized" campaign –– a term it first used during an attack on the upscale Dusit hotel complex in Nairobi in January last year that left 21 people dead.
Allied Democratic Forces, a militia originally from neighbouring Uganda, has killed more than 200 people since the army launched an offensive against the militia on October 30, according to a toll compiled by civil society groups.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for all latest in-depth, on the ground reporting from around the world.
Copyright © 2020 TRT World.