PM Jacinda Ardern says the Muslim community in New Zealand experienced "horrific racism" before March 15, 2019 terror attack on Christchurch mosques in which an Australian white supremacist killed 51 worshippers.
Hundreds gather at the Christchurch Arena to honour 51 people who were killed while worshipping in mosques in 2019 in an attack by an Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern apologises after report says country’s security apparatus inappropriately focused on Muslims at the time when a white supremacist attacked two Christchurch mosques, killing 51 worshipers.
The gunman, 29-year-old Australian Brenton Tarrant killed 51 worshippers in a mass shooting at two New Zealand mosques in the city of Christchurch last year.
Brenton Tarrant has pleaded guilty to 51 charges of murder, 40 of attempted murder and one of terrorism after storming into two mosques in Christchurch in 2019.
Brenton Tarrant wanted "to have shot more people than he did", the court was told at the start of the sentencing, held amid tight security and in front of bereaved families and wounded survivors.
Australian national Brenton Tarrant will be sentenced on August 24 on 51 murder convictions, 40 of attempted murder and one of terrorism arising from last year's massacre, the worst mass shooting in New Zealand's modern history.
Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant admits murders of 51 Muslim worshippers last March in Christchurch city, in a surprise change of mind, police say.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern was in Christchurch attending events to mark the anniversary of last year's March 15 massacre, which she has described as one of New Zealand's darkest days.
The onset of the Trump administration has coincided with an increasing level of hate crimes and an emboldened white nationalist movement that has created a domestic terrorism crisis in the US.
The first of more than 250 collections to be held nationwide was in Christchurch, where 51 Muslim worshippers were gunned down while at prayer less than four months ago.
The Australian man accused of murdering 51 people attending Friday prayers at two mosques pleads not guilty to all 92 charges against him.
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for all latest in-depth, on the ground reporting from around the world.
Copyright © 2021 TRT World.