A crisis hotline for migrants in distress accused European authorities of refusing to coordinate a search operation and laying full responsibility on the Libyan coastguard, who also declined to launch a rescue operation.
At least 172 people have been killed in three different shipwrecks in the central Mediterranean Sea, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said.
“Over the past three days, we have received reports that there were at least three boats,” that have sunk “in the central Mediterranean,” said IOM spokeswoman Safa Msehli at a UN press briefing on Friday.
She noted that the IOM was quoting tolls given by NGOs operating rescue ships in the area.
On one of the boats, there were 130 people aboard, a second was carrying two people, while on a third vessel that sank 40 people were believed to have perished.
“This actually brings the death toll in the central Mediterranean alone to close to 500 people, which is almost three times as many as the desktop in the same period of last year,” said Msehli.
Rubber boat carrying 130 capsized
SOS Mediterranee, which operates the rescue vessel Ocean Viking, said late on Thursday that the wreck of a rubber boat, which was initially carrying around 130 people, was spotted in the Mediterranean Sea northeast of the Libyan capital, Tripoli. The aid vessel did not find any survivors, but could see at least ten bodies near the wreck, the group added in a statement.
“We are heartbroken. We think of the lives that have been lost and of the families who might never have certainty as to what happened to their loved ones,” read the statement.
In the years since the 2011 NATO-backed uprising that ousted and killed longtime dictator Muammar Gadhafi, war-torn Libya has emerged as the dominant transit point for migrants fleeing war and poverty in Africa and the Middle East. Smugglers often pack desperate families into ill-equipped rubber boats that stall and founder along the perilous Central Mediterranean route.
'Authorities knowingly left them to die'
“States abandon their responsibility to coordinate Search and Rescue operations, leaving private actors and civil society to fill the deadly void they leave behind,” added the statement.
Alarm Phone, a crisis hotline for migrants in distress in the Mediterranean, said in another statement that it had been in contact with the boat in distress for nearly ten hours before it capsized. Alarm Phone added that it had notified European and Libyan authorities of the GPS position of the boat but only non-state rescue groups actively searched for it.
“The people could have been rescued but all authorities knowingly left them to die at sea,” they said in the statement.
Alarm phone accused European authorities of refusing to coordinate a search operation, and instead laid full responsibility on the Libyan coastguard, who also declined to launch a rescue operation.
In recent years, the European Union has partnered with Libya’s coast guard and other local groups to stem such dangerous sea crossings. Rights groups, however, say those policies leave migrants at the mercy of armed groups or confined in squalid detention centers rife with abuses.
“These are the human consequences of policies which fail to uphold international law and the most basic of humanitarian imperatives,” tweeted Eugenio Ambrosi, Chief of Staff for IOM.
Reports of at least 100 lives lost in the Central #Mediterranean today.— Eugenio Ambrosi (@AmbrosiEugenio) April 22, 2021
These are the human consequences of policies which fail to uphold international law and the most basic of humanitarian imperatives. https://t.co/KjeYOMYJpU