WAR ON GAZA
5 MIN READ
Israel launches surprise raid in Khan Younis as more bodies recovered
Air strikes continue in various areas of Gaza, compounding the humanitarian crisis.
Israel launches surprise raid in Khan Younis as more bodies recovered
Elsewhere in Khan Younis, scores more bodies were recovered from what Palestinian authorities said were mass graves on the site of the city's main hospital, abandoned by Israeli troops. / Photo: AA / AA
April 22, 2024

Israeli troops fought their way back into an eastern section of Khan Younis in a surprise raid, residents said, sending people who had returned to abandoned homes in the ruins of southern Gaza's main city fleeing once more.

"This morning many families who had left here in the past two weeks to go back home to Abassan came back. They were too frightened," Ahmed Rezik, 42, told Reuters on Monday from a school where he is sheltering in the western part of Khan Younis, referring to a district in the east.

"They said tanks pushed in the eastern area of the town under heavy fire, and they had to run for lives," he told Reuters via a chat app.

Elsewhere in Khan Younis, scores more bodies were recovered from what Palestinian authorities said were mass graves on the site of the city's main hospital, abandoned by Israeli troops.

Further south there were fresh air strikes on Rafah, the last refuge where more than half of the enclave's 2.3 million people have sought shelter.

Israel abruptly pulled most of its ground troops out of southern Gaza this month after some of the most intense fighting of the seven-month-old war.

Residents have begun making their way home to previously inaccessible neighbourhoods of what had been the enclave's second-biggest city, finding homes reduced to rubble and unrecovered dead in the streets.

Israel launched its war in Gaza after fighters from Palestinian resistance group Hamas burst across the border fence on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and capturing more than 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Israel responded by launching a ground assault on Gaza, vowing to annihilate Hamas. More than 34,000 people have since been confirmed killed according to Gaza health authorities, with thousands more bodies feared lost in the rubble.

RelatedScores of bodies found in two mass graves at hospital in Gaza’s Khan Younis

'The scene is tough'

In the ruins of what had been Nasser Hospital, the biggest in southern Gaza, Reuters saw emergency workers in white hazmat suits digging corpses out of the ground with hand tools and a digger truck.

The emergency services said 73 more bodies had been found at the site in the past day, raising the number seen over the week to 283.

Israel says it was forced to battle inside hospitals because Hamas fighters operated there, which medical staff and Hamas deny.

Gaza authorities say the bodies recovered so far are from just one of at least three mass graves they have found at the site.

"We expect to find another 200 bodies at the same mass grave in the coming two days before we will begin working at the two other cemeteries," Ismail Al Thawabta, director of Gaza media office, told Reuters.

He accused Israel of carrying out "executions" at the hospital and covering up the crimes by burying bodies with a bulldozer. Israel strongly denies having carried out executions.

Relatives have been coming to take away loved ones for reburial. Family members brought the body of Osama al Shoubagy, one of those recovered inside the hospital grounds, to a graveyard on Monday to rebury him next to his sister, to whom he had once donated a kidney when she was sick.

"My young daughter asked me to visit the grave of her father. I would tell her that as soon as we bury him, we will visit him. Thank God. The scene is tough, but we might find some relief after burying him," said his wife Soumaya.

In one hand she held a few yellow flowers, in the other, the hand of their small daughter Hind, who wore a pale yellow Disney "Frozen" tracksuit to say goodbye to her father.

"He loved me, (and used to) buy things for me, and he used to take me out," the small girl said by the side of the new grave.

Gaza residents reported air strikes in several other areas, including Rafah, where a day earlier doctors had performed a caesarean section to save a baby from the womb of his mother who was among those killed.

In Nusseirat in central Gaza, officials said an air strike had damaged solar panels the hospital relies on for power.

RelatedLive blog: Over 280 bodies recovered so far from mass grave in Khan Younis
SOURCE:TRTWorld and agencies
Explore
Israel detains at least 37 Palestinians in raids across occupied West Bank
Here’s all that you need to know about Trump’s Board of Peace for Gaza
Palestinian journalists suffer systematic torture and violence in Israeli prisons: CPJ
Over 150 ex-diplomats accuse French FM of spreading disinformation about UN's Francesca Albanese
Israeli actions raising 'ethnic cleansing' fears in West Bank, Gaza: UN
French pro-Palestine group calls for boycott of dates produced in illegal Israeli settlements
Türkiye condemns Israeli 'annexation' efforts in occupied West Bank during Security Council session
'No happiness this year': Gaza's displaced families mark Ramadan in Mawasi tents
'Racist assault' on Indians in Israel, as New Delhi keeps mum on West Bank ahead of Modi visit
Illegal Israeli settlers wound three Palestinians near occupied East Jerusalem
Videos abound, but only one Israeli soldier charged with Gaza looting
Israel expanding control in occupied West Bank tests US red lines
Israel kills young Palestinian in Gaza on first day of Ramadan
Israel deploys thousands of forces across occupied West Bank as Ramadan begins
Israeli far-right minister pushes forced transfer of Palestinians from West Bank, Gaza
Israel orders land seizure in northern occupied West Bank, targeting key archaeological site
'You are using Gaza as a testing lab': Protesters confront arms expo in Tel Aviv
Palestinian child killed by mine blast in occupied West Bank
UN slams Europe's 'malicious attacks' on special rapporteur Albanese
Israel accused of expanding Jerusalem borders for first time since 1967