US bolsters precautions to prevent spread of Ebola, confirms one case
Washington announces new measures, including airport screenings for travellers from outbreak-hit areas and the temporary suspension of visa services.
US bolsters precautions to prevent spread of Ebola, confirms one case
CDC officials have emphasised they are collaborating with international partners and health officials in impacted countries. (Photo: FILE) / AP

The United States has announced it is bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air travellers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services.

The public health measures shared by the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Monday come as the World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo an international health emergency.

In a briefing, Satish Pillai, the health agency's Ebola response incident manager, told journalists one American had contracted the virus following exposure related "to their work in the Democratic Republic of Congo."

"The person developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday," Pillai said, adding that efforts were underway to transport the individual to Germany for treatment.

The official added that the United States was attempting to evacuate six additional people for health monitoring.

Pillai said there are approximately 25 people working in the US field office in DRC, and that the CDC was fulfilling a request to send an additional senior technical coordinator.

"At this time, CDC assesses the immediate risk to the general US public as low, but we will continue to evaluate the evolving situation and may adjust public health measures as additional information becomes available," the health agency said in a statement.

In addition to screening at airports, the CDC said it was implementing entry restrictions on non-US passport holders if they had travelled to Uganda, DRC or South Sudan within the past 21 days.

The US embassy in Kampala said it had temporarily paused all visa services, and that impacted applicants had been notified.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said that although Ebola has been confined to Africa, he is concerned about the situation.

RelatedTRT World - Congo health minister announces 3 Ebola treatment centres in Ituri amid ongoing outbreak

Criticism of US response

There is no vaccine or specific treatment for the strain responsible for the current spread of the highly contagious hemorrhagic fever.

Ninety-one reported deaths are suspected to have been caused by the current surge in cases, according to the latest figures released on Sunday by Congolese Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba.

Around 350 suspected cases have been reported. Most of those affected are aged between 20 and 39, and more than 60 percent are women.

The United States formally withdrew from the WHO this year.

CDC officials have emphasised they are collaborating with international partners and health officials in impacted countries.

The public health measures announced on Monday will include continued "deployment of CDC personnel to support outbreak containment efforts in affected regions" as well as assistance with contact tracing and laboratory testing, the agency said.

SOURCE:AFP