WORLD
1 min read
Saudi Arabia touts new alliance as turning point for maritime security
Saudi Cabinet condemns "repeated Iranian attacks" on commercial shipping as a "grave violation" of international law.
Saudi Arabia touts new alliance as turning point for maritime security
A drone view shows vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, on June 15, 2026. / Reuters

Activation of the newly launched Multinational Maritime Defence Alliance marks a “new phase of joint action” to bolster maritime security, the Saudi Cabinet has said.

In a session chaired by King of Saudia Arabi Salman bin Abdulaziz in Jeddah on Tuesday, Cabinet members welcomed the operational launch of the alliance following the completion of its organisational framework, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

“This marks a new phase of joint action to achieve full operational readiness,” the Cabinet said in a statement.

RelatedTRT World - Fourteen countries back Saudi Arabia's maritime defence alliance amid Houthi blockade

The alliance, it added, will “enhance collective maritime security, protect freedom of navigation across straits and waterways, and ensure the continuity of international trade and global supply chains.”

Cabinet members also condemned what they described as “repeated Iranian attacks” on commercial shipping as a “grave violation” of international law.

On July 30, Saudi Arabia, along with 13 other countries, unveiled plans to establish a maritime alliance that aims to secure trade and energy routes through the Red Sea, the Gulf of Aden, and the Bab al Mandeb Strait.

Earlier this month, Saudi Rear Admiral Abdullah bin Salem Al-Shehri was appointed commander of the new alliance.

SOURCE:َAA