WAR ON GAZA
2 min read
UK, Italy, France, Germany condemn Israel's E1 settlement tenders, urge halt to project
European countries warn that the project would divide the occupied West Bank and undermine prospects for a two-state solution.
UK, Italy, France, Germany condemn Israel's E1 settlement tenders, urge halt to project
The Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim in the Israeli occupied Palestinian West Bank, some seven kilometers east of Jerusalem, on July 24, 2026. / AFP Archive

The UK, Italy, France and Germany have condemned Israel’s decision to publish construction tenders for the E1 settlement project in the occupied West Bank, warning they threaten the chance of a two-state solution.

The four governments said on Thursday the expansion was “unacceptable” and warned that the E1 development would “undermine the prospect of the two-state solution by driving a wedge through the West Bank and harming the territorial contiguity of the Palestinian Territories.”

The governments said the international community had long opposed settlement expansion and repeatedly raised its concerns with Israel - privately and publicly.

“International Law is clear that Israeli settlements in the West Bank are illegal,” they said, adding that the position had been reaffirmed by the UN Security Council.

The four countries also expressed concern about the wider situation in the West Bank, citing “unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians” alongside serious restrictions on the Palestinian economy.

RelatedTRT World - Egypt, Jordan warn Israeli E1 settlement project threatens Palestinian statehood

‘Legal and reputational consequences’

They urged Israel to withdraw the plans immediately and to end its expansion of settlements in the West Bank.

“Not only will they take us further from peace, but they further undermine Israel’s international standing,” they said.

The governments also urged businesses not to bid for construction tenders connected with the project, warning companies to consider the potential “legal and reputational consequences,” including the risk of involvement as “serious breaches of international law.”

The statement reiterated the commitment of the four countries to a “comprehensive, just and lasting peace based on the two-state solution.”

“We will continue to act in its interest,” it said.

RelatedTRT World - Türkiye, Egypt, Qatar urge world to pressure Israel over renewed attacks on Gaza