Survivors of Israel's violent interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla are speaking out about what they describe as systematic abuse, including rape, tasering, and beatings, suffered at the hands of Israeli forces after 430 aid workers were seized aboard 50 ships in international waters on Tuesday.
Organisers of the flotilla, which departed from Marmaris, Türkiye last Thursday in a renewed attempt to break Israel's 18-year blockade of Gaza, said at least 15 participants reported sexual assaults including rape.
Multiple activists have been hospitalised across Istanbul with broken ribs, fractured vertebrae and other injuries, while others described being stripped, beaten and denied access to legal counsel.
"We were stripped, thrown to the ground, kicked," Luca Poggi, an Italian economist who was aboard the flotilla, told reporters upon landing in Rome. "Many of us were tasered, some were sexually assaulted, and some were denied access to a lawyer."

A convoy of conscience met with force
The Global Sumud Flotilla — carrying 428 volunteers from 44 countries — had set sail with a straightforward humanitarian mandate: to deliver aid supplies to a population that the United Nations and international aid agencies warn is being pushed to the brink of famine under an Israeli blockade that has strangled Gaza since 2007.
Instead, Israeli naval forces intercepted all 50 vessels in international waters and arrested those aboard, before Türkiye secured the return of those illegally detained by Israel following the interception on Thursday.
Sabrina Charik, who helped coordinate the return of 37 French citizens, told reporters that five French participants had been hospitalised in Türkiye, some with broken ribs or fractured vertebrae. Several had made detailed allegations of sexual violence, including rape.
French national Adrien Jouen posted photographs on Instagram showing extensive bruising across his back and forearms.

Flotilla organisers painted the accounts as emblematic of a broader pattern of Israeli violence. "While the world's eye is trained on the suffering of our participants, we cannot emphasise enough that this is a mere glimpse of the brutality Israel imposes daily on Palestinian hostages," the Global Sumud Flotilla said in a statement on Telegram.
Turkish authorities confirmed that 41 of the 53 hospitalised activists had been discharged after treatment at hospitals across Istanbul, while 12 remained admitted — nine at Basaksehir Cam and Sakura City Hospital and three at Bakırkoy Dr. Sadi Konuk Training and Research Hospital.
International outrage mounts
The abuse allegations have compounded an already volcanic international backlash triggered when Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted a video of himself mockingly celebrating footage of activists being pinned to the ground in an Israeli prison. The clip drew immediate condemnation across Europe and beyond.
Italy's Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani, speaking on the sidelines of the NATO meeting in Sweden, announced he was coordinating with all EU counterparts to push for "a quick decision to impose sanctions" on Ben-Gvir.
Italy also confirmed that 44 Spanish flotilla members were returning on flights from Istanbul to Madrid and Barcelona throughout Friday, with Spain's Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares confirming four had required medical treatment for their injuries.
The European Union's foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas had previously proposed sanctions against Ben-Gvir, but the measure failed to secure the unanimous support of all 27 member states required under EU rules.
EU foreign policy spokesperson Anouar El Anouni on Friday declined to comment on what he described as confidential discussions, but confirmed the issue remained on the table.
Canada was among the most forceful voices condemning Israel's conduct. Foreign Minister Anita Anand wrote on social media that she had received "appalling" details of the abuse suffered by Canadian detainees now arrived in Türkiye.
"Canada unequivocally condemns the grave mistreatment of Canadians in Israel," she wrote. "Those responsible for this egregious abuse must be held accountable."
For the people of Gaza, who watched the flotilla attempt from behind a blockade that has reduced their territory to rubble and their population to hunger, the outcome of this convoy is not merely a diplomatic incident.
It is the latest chapter in what the flotilla organisers called Israel's daily imposition of brutality on Palestinian lives. The activists may return home to safety. Palestinians cannot.









