POLITICS
2 min read
Iran has not agreed to all 'red lines' set out by Trump —Vance
Vice President said the US would keep working on a solution, though Trump still retains the option to decide when diplomacy has run its course.
Iran has not agreed to all 'red lines' set out by Trump —Vance
Trump has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to acknowledge, Vance says. / AP
2 hours ago

Iran has not agreed to all the "red lines" set out by US President Donald Trump for a diplomatic solution, Vice President JD Vance has said after talks in Geneva.

Vance appeared to indicate that the United States was still interested in diplomacy, after Trump threatened force if Iran does not agree on key concerns starting with its nuclear programme.

"In some ways, it went well; they agreed to meet afterwards," Vance said in a Fox News interview on Tuesday.

"But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through," Vance told "The Story with Martha MacCallum" programme.

"We're going to keep on working it. But of course, the president reserves the ability to say when he thinks that diplomacy has reached its natural end," Vance said.

"We hope we don't get to that point, but if we do that will be the president's call."

The latest comments came as Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi Abbas Araghchi said the path toward a deal with the US has begun after a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday.

“Broad agreement”

He said both sides now share an understanding on the main principles following what he calls very serious discussions, though several issues remain unsettled.

"Ultimately, we were able to reach broad agreement on a set of guiding principles, based on which we will move forward and begin working on the text of a potential agreement," Araghchi told state TV after the talks in Geneva, which he described as "more constructive" than the previous round earlier this month. 

According to reports, the two sides exchanged notes on nuclear issues through Omani mediators, with the participation of experts in nuclear, legal and economic matters.

UN chief Antonio Guterres has welcomed the latest talks between the two nations and expressed hope that continued diplomacy will “reduce regional tensions and prevent a broader crisis”.

The first round of talks took place in Muscat earlier this month, more than eight months after diplomacy was suspended following the Israel’s attack on Iran last June.

RelatedTRT World - US-Iran nuclear talks conclude in Geneva with 'guiding principles' agreed: Iran
SOURCE:TRT World and Agencies