In all, thirty-four of the 121 kidnapped children are now free since five others had escaped earlier and another was released on health grounds, according to a school official.
Gunmen who had seized 121 students at a high school in northwestern Nigeria earlier this month have released 28 of them, a school official said.
The 28 released students had been reunited with their parents after being released on Saturday, Joseph Hayab, the Bethel Baptist High School official, said on Sunday.
The attackers had stormed Bethel Baptist High School in northwestern Kaduna state on July 5, abducting students who were sleeping in their dorms.
The kidnapping was the latest by heavily armed gangs, known locally as bandits, who have long plagued northwest and central Nigeria by looting, stealing cattle and kidnapping, but have lately targeted schools and colleges.
"We were able to send out church buses to go to where the captors dropped them to pick them up," Hayab said.
In all, thirty-four of the kidnapped children were now free: five escaped earlier and one was released on health grounds, he said.
READ MORE: 'Nigeria risks descending into another civil war'
Some money had been paid to the gang, he said, declining to say how much.
"The most important thing now is to get all the remaining children released," he said.
Parents of those released reacted with joy.
"I'm so happy what God had done for us, it is our day," said mother Jumai Francis.
"The joy, I'm overwhelmed," said father Zambo Egeje, but still had some words of criticism for the authorities.
"Physically, we did not see any government officially consoling us," he said.
Rise in school kidnapping
Kaduna state police were not immediately available for comment when contacted by AFP.
Of the five children who escaped on July 21, two were found by police and the other three made their own way back to the school, Hayab said.
READ MORE: Bandits kill dozens of villagers in northwest Nigeria
"They escaped from the bandits when they were sent to collect firewood for cooking."
After the kidnapping, the gang asked the school for food and a ransom to free the hostages.
Kidnappings of travellers on the roads or of influential people for ransom are common in Africa's most populous country.
Boko Haram fighters first kidnapped children from schools in 2014, when they took more than 200 girls from their dormitory in Chibok, causing a worldwide public outcry.
Abductions of schoolchildren have risen sharply since then, with around 1,000 students and pupils have been abducted across Nigeria since December.
READ MORE: Nigeria police secure release of 100 villagers kidnapped for over a month
Most have been released after negotiations by local officials with the organised criminal gangs.
Many though remain captive, including a hundred children abducted in early June from a Muslim school in the neighbouring state of Niger, and still held hostage.
"The Tegina boys and girls, some as young as five, have been in captivity for 56 long days now," tweeted Nigerian analyst Bulama Bukarti on Sunday.
The terrorists that abducted the 136 Tegina students have refused to release them despite collecting N50m ransom. Instead, they’ve held one of the delegates that delivered the ransom and are demanding more money and six Honda motorcycles. Only in Buhari’s Nigeria can this happen.— Bulama Bukarti (@bulamabukarti) July 25, 2021
"It's clear that parents have been left completely on their own, with both state and federal govt not making any concrete security or non-security efforts to free the helpless children."
President Muhammadu Buhari, who is under fire for growing insecurity in the country, has ordered the security forces to ensure safe and early release of all kidnap victims.