POLITICS
2 min read
US holding secret talks with grandson of Cuba's Raul Castro — report
Talks between Marco Rubio and Raul Guillermo Rodriguez Castro are bypassing formal Cuban government channels, signalling that Trump’s administration regards the 94-year-old revolutionary as the real power broker in Cuba.
US holding secret talks with grandson of Cuba's Raul Castro — report
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has been meeting Raul Guillermo Rodriguez Castro, the grandson of Raul Casto, US media reports say. / AP
2 hours ago

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has been holding talks with the grandson of Cuba's former leader Raul Castro, according to US media reports.

The talks between Rubio, 54, and Raul Guillermo Rodriguez Castro, 41, are bypassing official Cuban government channels.

"I wouldn't call these 'negotiations' as much as 'discussions' about the future," a senior Trump administration official said, referring to the talks between Rubio and Raul Guillermo Rodriguez Castro, the Axios news site reported on Wednesday.

US President Donald Trump said on Monday that the US is talking to Cuba "right now" and Rubio is holding the talks.

"Cuba is right now a failed nation, and they don't even have jet fuel to get for airplanes to take off…We're talking to Cuba right now...and they should absolutely make a deal," Trump told reporters.

The senior official said the US government's position "is the regime has to go."

"But what exactly that looks like is up to (President Trump) and he has yet to decide. Rubio is still in talks with the grandson," the official was quoted as saying by the news site.

RelatedTRT World - Havana refinery fire under control amid deepening Cuban fuel crisis

Rubio has not held talks with Cuba’s official leader, President Miguel Diaz-Canel Bermudez, or with any other senior government officials.

The US has reinstated its blockade of Cuba, declaring its intention to overthrow the republic's communist government by one means or another.

Washington has imposed an embargo on fuel deliveries to the island nation, which was already facing acute shortages.

The US previously succeeded in halting oil supplies to Cuba from Mexico and Venezuela, and in the latter case, US forces abducted President Nicolas Maduro.

Washington has also announced its intention to impose proportional import duties on goods from countries that dare to supply fuel to Cuba.

RelatedTRT World - UN 'extremely worried' for Cuba amid US oil blockade
SOURCE:AA
Explore
Philippines' Sara Duterte declares 2028 presidential bid
Nobel Prize-winning scientist James Watson photographed with women in Epstein's house: Report
Court steps in as US immigration judge stops removal of Palestinian student
Trump's immigration ratings slide to record low as support among men falls
Carney launches major defence plan to cut Canada's reliance on US
Geneva becomes Ground Zero for diplomacy with Iran nuclear and Ukraine peace talks
Iran has not agreed to all 'red lines' set out by Trump —Vance
Rubio names Tibet envoy in revival of US 'human rights' push under Trump
Jose Jeri becomes 7th president in 10 years to be ousted in Peru
Billionaire Hyatt chair Tom Pritzker becomes latest bigwig to face fallout over Epstein ties
Trump says US in talks with Cuba, calls it a 'failed state'
Trump says he will be involved indirectly in Iran talks
Lebanon says next Hezbollah disarmament phase to take four months
UN experts urge probe into Epstein files, warn crimes against humanity possible
'Racist slob' and 'modern Klansman' Randy Fine faces resignation calls over rabid anti-Muslim post
Canada's Carney to tour India next month amidst US tariffs and dispute over Sikh killing
Trump is 'deeply committed to your success', Rubio tells Hungary's Orban
US Homeland Security faces shutdown as lawmakers clash over border enforcement
Eyeing midterms, Trump threatens to bypass Congress with executive order on election reforms
Arundhati Roy withdraws from Berlin Film Festival in protest over Gaza genocide remarks