Skirmishes between Taliban fighters and Afghan security forces recommence after a three-day ceasefire expired in Afghanistan.
US and NATO officials said that US troop strength in Afghanistan is down to nearly 8,600, well ahead of a schedule agreed with Taliban in late February, in part because of concerns about the spread of the coronavirus.
Kabul plans to free up to 2,000 Taliban inmates as a "goodwill gesture" in response to insurgents' limited ceasefire during festival marking the end of the month of fasting.
The ceasefire which begins Sunday was first announced by the Taliban, then welcomed by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.
Spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the group would not negotiate with the team as it was not selected in a way that included "all Afghan factions".
Threat of parallel governments in Afghanistan is jeopardising the nascent process to end a war that has killed tens of thousands of people.
Isolated attacks take place, reports say, on first day of "violence reduction period" which if observed successfully will lead to US-Taliban deal and a subsequent pullout of US troops after nearly two decades in country.
Insurgents dug a tunnel in volatile Sangin district and then blew it up before their fighters could attack the compound.
The Taliban claimed they were behind a fatal roadside bombing in northern Kunduz province, that had killed the US soldier. A Taliban spokesman even tweeted a purported photo ID of the slain US soldier, without saying how it was obtained.
They were travelling in a car and stopped at a Taliban checkpoint on the road, Paktia governor spokesman Abdullah Hasrat said. The Taliban has long targeted the judiciary in retaliation for harsh sentences given to their fighters.
Taliban leaders imposed a ban on the ICRC and the World Health Organisation (WHO) earlier in April saying the organisations were carrying out "suspicious" activities during vaccinations campaigns and not sticking to their declared missions.
The insurgent group's spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid says Washington will regret abandoning negotiations a day after President Donald Trump said talks with the group were "dead."
Subscribe to our Youtube channel for all latest in-depth, on the ground reporting from around the world.
Copyright © 2020 TRT World.